Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Can't Wait to Host @Harding_High and Students from @mrsherzogSHS and @Barbara75223900's Classrooms Today - Writing Our Lives & Finding Our Joy

It's the end of the year as we know it, and I feel fine! 

Yep, all the projects are culminating and the next few weeks are a celebration of the hard work of incredible teachers. When Fola Sumpter, Kim Herzog, and Barb Robbins come my way with a project idea, I can't help but respond, "Let's do it." Students from Harding and Staples High School have been collaborating on "Joy" projects as they read Kwame Mbalia's (ed) Black Boy Joy. Fortunate for us, too, Julian Winters has agreed to be a spokesman - the entire collection is phenomenal (and we were lucky to have Julia on The Write Time earlier last year). 

Wait. I have to stop a second. I had Kwame Mbalia, Varian Johnson, Julian Reynolds, and Cosby Hunt in one space earlier this year. Dang. I am still dancing as a result of that show. BRILLIANT. This time we get Julian Winters!

Today, however, over 100 kids come to workshop ideas, thinking, writing, discussion, and possibilities in the Dolan School of Business Event Center, and will utilize breakout rooms throughout the building (this is a dream space for educators and work like this). I spent yesterday setting up with 100s of bottles of water, Capris Suns, and gummy bears (plus writing supplies out the yazoo). 

This is a Barb and Fola Book Club tradition!

There's nothing better than the feeling of a fantastic investment: great schools, wonderful teachers, brilliant text, and the gift of Julian Winters. I can hardly wait to see how the young people deliver the brilliance of their hard work. 

This is a dream team for sure. 

I love the National Writing Project work I'm blessed to do.