Friday, May 6, 2022

Ready for a Whale of a Time Today & Tomorrow. Wait? Do Whales Run in the Oaks? Oh, Wait. They Swim. Oh, Well. They're Off

It's one of those days where I have to be in 12 places at once, and even in two states (Drats! ZOOM! Foiled again! You make boundaries impossible!

I was looking for 'mermaid margarita glasses' for Pam's birthday, and up came kid's mermaid glasses, a collection of whales, tales, oysters, and fish. So, that' what I dropped off knowing that it was an early present, but I'd likely see our friends on Derby. I told her to distribute them wisely. I took the whale (and then gave them back). 

I'm looking forward to working with the Michigan Association of English Teachers and redoing a workshop for their educators on Ain't Burned All The Bright by Jason Reynolds (it really is a must read). I'm also picking up a couple $1000 dollars worth of books for girls that they ordered in the Cultivated Women's Collective. They've been trickling in so I need to get to New Haven to make it happen. 

I have a writing group in the later afternoon, followed by much advising. I'm hoping to grade all day tomorrow so I can enjoy a mint julep for the Derby (man, it posts late). I believe it will be a whale of a time....

Ah, that's just horse shit. Of course it will be a whale of a time. Best two minutes of sports each year. Well, not really, but it is a fast-paced Kentucky tradition.

Hey, can anyone say exhaustion? That's totally where I am right now, but I'm optimistic for a few light hours this weekend.