Monday, May 23, 2022

Down & Dirty. Phase One of a Three-Part Rennovation Plan Was Completed Yesterday. Thinking Next Phases Will Occur Next Year.

In my head, I live in the English garden of Barbara, the wonderful host who gave a home to Amy and me back when we studied at Cambridge. We arrived many weeks early, and chose to tour all of England, Ireland, and Scotland before our classes began, and Barb was one of our home-stays in the Northside of London. I loved afternoon tea and biscuits, but evening beers and fox-sightings. My goal will always be to have a fox and his family move under my shed forever and always. I'd put out a plate of food for him nightly, too. Barbara's garden was peaceful, calming, and always wonderful to sit, gather, and talk.

From 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. yesterday, we dug out several plants in the front, brought more from the backyard, and expanded the perennials forward by another 6 feet. My hope is to do the same on the other side of my porch, before expanding the backyard corner garden by 12 feet. It's doing excessively well, and everything needs to be split, divided, and spread - that's the love of gardening. You have a vision, you like your hands and legs in the dirt, you sweat excessively on 90 degree 

I was filthy, too. 

It was like I was mountain biking or competing in a Mudder 5K. Head to toe, I was covered in dirt and it felt great. Yes, I awoke at 6 a.m. and worked on University stuff until 11, but from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. I was garden-variety Bryan and I loved every second of it. I am thankful to Edem, too, because he doesn't break a sweat and he digs deeper than I can without Harvey the hernia popping out (yes, that's the name of #3...I am keeping him at bay, but I know he's there). 

Truth is, the bounty of these moves won't be known until next year, when things start growing back, but I think I made all the wise decisions. Lord knows I could give everyone in my neighborhood a Japanese Iris, and I'd still have enough to fully fashion my own yard (this is the result of a $2 buy from a lady a few streets over who gardens).

I'm also anxious to see how the herb garden goes of, and I'm determined to move the vegetable garden to the other side of the backyard. This requires time (which I don't have) and energy (which I quickly run out of after five hours of non-stop labor). 

Still, when I think of a spending a day of joy, I can think of fewer that aren't as happy as being in dirt. I just love it.