Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Sometimes Life is a Marvel Movie, Especially When You Work with @elizabethboquet. The Silver Lining is Simply Tremendous

I arrived to campus with materials needing to be distributed to colleagues, and left campus with materials needing to be distributed to schools. In the world of grants, you also become an Uber driver (without extra pay or tips) who travels 48 miles in one day simply to bump fists with administrators and hand off the goods. Ah, but you get to visit six schools in one day and see that more books are in the hands of young writers. That's what counts.

As I was leaving, this shiny (really impressive) gray car pulls up beside me with tinted windows. I was like, "Is this God? Has my time come and is this a messenger?" The window came down and sunlight hit the woman in the driver's seat. It was cinematic....simply stunning... the opening scene of a 007 film or perhaps a Marvel movie. I was being summoned to join a superpower on a quest.

It was Beth...Beth Boquet.

"Hey, I have something for you," she says reaching across the car. "I've been carrying it around for weeks." 

I thought it might be a briefcase or a computer with a special message. It was my time to be called to the universe. Nope. It was a stuffed chew-toy for Karal. A frog. She flung it out of her window into my own. I caught it...one handed. Sometimes I am Spiderman.

If only every day could be so magical. It's hard to put into words how spectacular this colleague of mine is - one of the last remaining inspirations on campus, a mentor, and an all-around dynamic human being. I'm so lucky to have her as a friend and and accomplice. 

So, is Karal. 

The eyes are already gone. She went for them first. Not Beth, but the dog. This is the way that joy goes.