Wednesday, May 4, 2022

A Note on Leadership & Lifting the World. Atlas Can't Do It Alone. It's the Collective. Always.

If anyone was to ever tell me the one day I would serve on a Rank and Tenure committee, I would laugh. I didn't even apply for a Rank and Tenure job when I came to Fairfield University (because I'm wary of the process), but was later asked by the Provost at the time to transition my position because of what I was accomplishing as the Director of the Connecticut Writing Project. Fast forward, I was tenured five years ago (kept it quiet and still don't necessarily want to jinx it was ever true - it's an insane amount of work). Lo and behold, three years ago, someone from my school needed to step up and serve. I was faculty chair of the school at the time and did everything in my power to get someone to be on the committee. If we put up a Full, the College of Arts and Sciences would need an Associate. Our fulls were tapped, and none of our associates were interested in giving up their winter break. Crandall being Crandall...well, I put my name forward for the team. I didn't know what to expect. Someone had to do it..that is the way shared governance works.

In truth, it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. The professional development was astounding and it restored faith in how I view the University. I work with AMAZING human beings who are doing unbelievable things as scholars, educators, and men and women for others. I have, for the most part been in awe. It's also been extremely eye-opening to see how politics plays out, administrative decisions impede faculty success in some cases, and where departments have tremendous room for growth. The job, however, is to evaluate the individual applicant. Three years and almost 60 applicants later (they average well over 100 pages each), I can say that today the official duties have ended.

And I was Chair. Who would ever think that I would be Chair of a Rank & Tenure Committee? The guy with the busiest schedule, the most insane workload, and the most spastic brain was put in that leadership role. God Bless. I'm just happy I survived it all.

I was scared to death too - the responsibility of the work is tremendous and we all want to get it right. I've said since my first year that trusting the process is the best way to go. It's not easy work and so we can carry some weight as individuals, but in truth it's the lift of many that help to see each case for what it is - this includes chairing and remind colleagues to trust their instincts, their objective nature, and their minds. The burden on any one alone is too much, but collectively we get closer to what is best.

Yesterday, I addressed the entire faculty and finished the day with reflection for faculty wishing to go up in the future. I'm exhaling this morning, too, because the work was daily, 24/7, and always in need of investigation and support....bridgework between official documents, administrative assistants, faculty, history, and best advice to be given. 

It's been a heavy part of my life the last three and now....well, in the Fall...it can be handed to a new chair and other members of the ever-changing committee.

I don't know if I want to sleep for several years or dance in the streets. It won't be either, but I can wish (can't I?). First things first, this morning. I need to get this sinus headache to subside.