Thursday, May 19, 2022

When the Frustrations Grow Enormous, It is Best to Focus on What Matters Most - That Is, Incredible Colleagues and Mentors

Counselor Education will host a bigger celebration next month, but yesterday the University offered departing notes for this year's retirees, including academic giants and all stars like Ellen Umansky, Philip Lane, Sally O'Driscoll, Carol Pomarico, Judy Primavera, Irene Mulvey, and Tracey Robert. I had to say to Sonya Huber at one point, "Phew. We stand on the shoulders of these giants." I arrived in 2011, and I've learned so much from the leadership, perseverance, excellence, and commitment of these individuals. I said to Phil, "I would never have the courage to speak up against administration, but I remember several of your lines over the years at the faculty Mic. To Hell With Them All, was one of my favorites." 

Irene Mulvey was a giant who insisted on taking me under her wing for faculty salary, and she nominated me for the George Lang Award. Phew. Sally O'Driscoll was always an English department imp-friend whose brilliance exuded beyond campus and whose kindness continually made me happy to be part of the team - I just adored her. I've learned from students yearly that there's few who have an impact on knowledge like Ellen Umansky, and I was fortunate to serve R&T with her this year (quality, indeed). Carol Pomarico is the School of Nursing - my lord, the foundation of the school should be named after her. 39 years. And since I've arrived to Fairfield, I've always looked to Judy Primavera's vision as one to model my own - she is central to community-engaged scholarship.

Ah, but no one has been as instrumental and important to me as Dr. Tracey Robert (my speedie-sauce friend, blog reader, accomplice, and investor). I say she's an investor because she's always used her leadership to talk me into my own, letting me know my potential and how I can/could step up into new roles at the university, including GSEAP Faculty Chair and then Rank & Tenure. Many discuss their mentoring and guidance, but Dr. Robert has evidence behind what she says. She's been with me every step of the way, sharing her wisdom, checking in on my mental well-being, and simply being a careful, mindful soul. She's been VIP to me, and she's made the decision to step away. I can't blame her. She's done an amazing job, especially with her liaison to the School of Nursing. 

When I think of Fairfield University leadership, I think of Tracey Robert. Class, integrity, dedication, kindness, spirituality, devotion, meditation, and intellectual bravado. I hate to lose her to the better side (and it is a better side), but I respect her decision 150%. It might be odd for Ryan and I to adjust to a hallway without Tracey stopping by, but we'll do what we can. Who will bring us admission tickets to the daily clown show?

Tracey is simply adored. She is loved. She is respected. And she is admired. I am writing this morning with total appreciation of the woman she is, totally acknowledging that I am, because she is. I am indebted to her kindness to me since 2011. It is my goal to always pay it forward. For her, wherever I end up.

Congratulations, Tracey!!!