Saturday, May 28, 2022

Finally Saw the Last Episode (Finale) of THIS IS US. For Me, the Randall/Deja Storyline Was What Put the Bow on the Entire Series.

I'm actually a lot less emotional than I expected to be at the season finale of THIS IS US. Over the last year, the writers have done a good job of pulling stories together, and the typical emotional lines weren't as powerful, but more delicately displayed. It was driving me nuts that adult Deja wasn't the same actress as teenage Deja, although I kept thinking I might be wrong - the doppelgänger familiarity was extremely close. For some reason, I wish they kept the same actress.

After all, Randall, Beth, and Deja have been my favorite characters throughout all these years, especially with the strength they demonstrated as characters, parents, and willing recipients for new definitions of love (which Jack and Rebecca allowed to develop). 

To me, all of THIS IS US leaders to Deja's storyline and the fact that she is pregnant with a son....William. That got me...a reason why I fell in love with the writing all along.

And there it goes. An endings. I had low expectations for the show, but also high ones, simply because it has been a staple throughout the last several years. I watched the final episode ready to be critical and to pick it apart.

Nope. It was superb. Very well done, and in the genre of the writing that made/makes it what it is. 

But if they started a show called Deja, I'd start watching tomorrow. I loved her character and all she might bring forward to the world. 

I'm sad to see this show end, but I'm proud I stayed with it. I remember when it first started, Chitunga and my mom hooked me in. I see why.

It really was a beautiful story.