Saturday, May 21, 2022

And Here We Go Again...Day One of the Pervasive Graduation Season - This One for Class of 2023 Graduate School Graduates

I don't have the heart to tell them they're not done. They have four weeks with me starting on Monday...then they're be done. Such is the reality of teacher education programs. In order to fit everything in, we also need summer...well, June anyway.  

I need to be on campus by 7:30, although they will all show up last minute, if at all, and then I have to alphabetize in my head super quick and keep everyone in control. Good news...they aren't undergraduates. I don't have to deal with the alcohol and drugs. Just the bobby pins.

And we are in-person, and normal. I'm glad to see the 90 degrees has fallen to 80 degrees, and the morning will still be overcast so it won't be too miserable in the seats on the open lawn. Yes, it is a gorgeous graduation - stunning, actually, but when it rains it's miserable and when it is hot, it's miserable . I don't mind when the sun is under a cloud - then I don't cook under my robe and hat.

Graduations are more fun when we are walking or know someone specific who is walking. Our graduate graduations are a mixed back...some from last year come back, others from this year don't want to bother (exactly like I did with my two degrees at Louisville. I don't even know what a University of Louisville ceremony is like. I never attended). 

But I'll do my part and show support for the students that do go forward with pomp and circumstance, and I can attest that getting hooded, and walking for my dissertation, both at the School of Education and the Dome Ceremony, was incredibly special. I needed the closure and the feeling of joy, which is gave me.

Yet, it is true. I still know nothing. If I figured it all out, I wouldn't be blogging as I am right now. I'd be on an island by myself with books, beaches, and absolute joy from responsibility. 

Meanwhile...