Friday, May 20, 2022

As a Reminder to Myself Over the Next Few Weeks. Sometimes Everything Piles Up at Once and You Just Have to Pace Through It

It's one thing to plan big events pre-pandemic, but another in the post-era. K-12 schools are naturally wonkier than usual, and this includes paperwork, transportation, and movement to do out-of-school events. There are three scheduled to culminate the school year...a couple grant-funded. Everything has been arranged for a while, though, but one event hit a SNAFU because the University gave the space to a paying customer. Poof. For me, I only have to pay for food and tablecloths...not the entire room. I understand (I think). And I think we found an alternative plan. 

The next two days are graduation, but then summer courses begin, and I have a leadership retreat in Colorado that has been planned for months. I didn't know I was going to teach a course in May/June, though, until a week or two ago. I'm adapting, and this too shall pass. 

I need to hyper-focus today on dotting t's and crossing i's (intentional mistake...I always do that). Since I won't be on campus Tues-Friday next week, I need to get everything in place for the return, when the events are insanely large (and, of course, I'm teaching!!!!). I did this to myself, but once again, it is also a favor to the University. More importantly, I have K-12 teachers and their kids I take care of, too - this takes yearlong planning.

And once again, I have no administrative support. It's been insane for a very long time. I'm not sure if anyone will ever respond or listen. I've tried. The narrative at the top tells another story...those of us doing the work experience a different reality.

So I breathe.