Thursday, May 12, 2022

The Glimmer of Hope and Possibility Comes with the Constellation of Teaching Stars...Those Who Work with Children

I'm very fortunate to be able to invest time, money, and books this year and to cultivate girl writers across the State of Connecticut through the expertise of stellar teachers and administrators. The joy that comes from gifting young writers with models of books, the power of writing, and the magic of reading as writers, is the art that fuels me. It's simple, actually. Find and fund resources for incredible teachers and let them simply be incredible.

Whey they are free to shine, their students follow.

I've put over 200 miles on my Subaru this week meeting with administrators, educators, and young people as I learn of the happiness that comes from an investment in their worlds. I've been checking up on writing, reading, exploring, and learning with 8 schools along the Sound.

Many shouts to Dean Attallah Sheppard and teacher Briana Bartone at Amistad High School in New Haven, who are stepping up for  students to get the power of language into all the right hands. Also....check out the incredible talents of Briana here (get this teacher a stage and mic, please)

It's the power of spoken word, investing in the community, and meeting kids where they are. I feel blessed by all the work I'm able to do in off-campus settings.

The two Connecticuts are synonymous with the two Americas. I don't think the vast majority of people realize how horrific legislation has made our schools. It's miraculous that anyone wakes up and finds more spark to do what is expected of them, especially in the environment today that is pushing excellence out of school in the name of  inequity and ignorance. 

And here we are...one tiny investment into the world doing great thing for 100s of kids. That's what I stand for. It should be the norm, but it is all the extra hours necessary to make even the tiniest glimpse of hope possible.