Thursday, August 11, 2022

Made It To Nashville with Only a Slight Delay. Was Graced By the Hospitality of Dr. Kevin Leander, Vanderbilt University. Nashville's Definitely in a Boom

I didn't expect delays, but leaving Tweed, the pilot announced no flights were going into Nashville and we had to head back to the gate. Fortunate for us, it was only a 35 minute delay. We arrived by 6 p.m. their time, got our rental car (upgraded to a BMW...nice), and headed to the hotel. Kevin came by to pick us up, took on on a slight tour, and then we went out to a BBQ joint.

Delicious. Afterwords, we hiked across the Cumberland River and took pictures of the city. We drove by the tourists listening to bands and drinking their brains away, but we avoided that romp and simply walked instead.

I laugh that Dr. Leander came to take us out. When I was a Ph.D student, Kelly and Kathy put me on a project reading his work and I was blow away by his brilliance, but also how complicated his thinking is...it took me quite a while to understand what he was writing. Since, we've met from time to time and a few years back bonded over an Improv performance with Vygotsky's Sister - a consortium of his friends who were also scholars. It was a riot. I've always loved the way his mind works and I know how lucky we are that he was our tour guide for the night.

This morning, we'll do more touring and then we are off to find a brewery in Paducah before settling into our Mayfield hotel for the wedding. 

Great evening.