Monday, August 1, 2022

I Went Two for Two This Weekend, and Even Got Edem and His Foot Out of the House for Some R&R (But I Did Accomplish the Work Goals on my Plate, Too)

This is our last week of literacy labs and one of my favorites - one where all the energy can be located to Ubuntu Academy and our literacy work with immigrant and refugee youth. Over this weekend, I was able to edit two articles for a journal, and finish the outdoor work that's needed to be done. More importantly, however, there was chill time for Crandall, having two days at the beach. Yesterday, though, was supposed to be cloudy and crappy, but it turned out to absolutely gorgeous. The clouds went away and on my way to the grocery store I was sucked back to the sand. It's all good. It's a form of church. 

I did eventually get to the store, then back home, and when I thought about cooking I said, "Edem, Pam's people are eating steak tonight. Want to over?" His crutches moved really fast to my car. Steak. Polish kielbasa and homemade pickles. Onions and mushrooms. Salad. Potatoes. It was total summer joy.

And Jake loved it. This is a dog who never forgets a pal and he was super excited to have Edem's lap to rest on. In fact, Edem was his go-to pal the entire day. There's nothing like impromptu dinners, either, when food comes together and everything is simply delicious. 

I do hope for rain, however, as the dryness of everything is a little much. When I mowed yesterday it was a dust bowl, and the poor flowers are super thirsty. The butterfly bush however is busting with purple flowers and the swallowtails, monarchs, and nymphs are loving it. The bees, too. It's like a mini-ecosystem of thriving, thirst-driven creatures. 

Okay, now it's time for the mind game again. I need to get my intellect on for the remaining five days. I also need to get this throat to be not so dry. Damn sinuses.