Thursday, July 21, 2022

When We Adapt Potatoes for the Environment, Then Use Our Creations for Storytelling, You Know We Are a @WritingProject Site

I've been channeling my watershed workshop days to draw on material that is wonderful for outdoor education, but also useful for writer's notebooks. Yesterday was the adapted potato game, where kids get a potato, create a creature, discuss its habitat, enemies, food sources, and homestead, then hide it somewhere in the region. I then hire a predator to hunt for the potatoes, and those left standing are the winners. We only had one winner yesterday - the brilliant "Potato Thing."

Ah, the humidity and heat. Phew. Still, a great day outside. Novelists upstairs working on magic box plot structures and little labbers outside working on their creature stories. Joy everywhere. That's what counts most. 

It's another day...another hot day. We are going to do more script writing, editing, and organizing for the large crew arriving next week for Ubuntu Academy and College Writing & Other Narratives. It will be interesting to have the older energy with us for a few weeks. 

Meanwhile, I am thinking thunderstorms. I know they won't bring relief, but something has to break the air a little. I'm whining. We've had it easy this year and we (well I) should be thankful. 

Okay, no home fries this morning. Just water...and I'm out the door.