Thursday, July 14, 2022

Absolutely NO FUN @CWPFairfield Summer Programs. It's Not Allowed. Writing Is Serious Business & Laughter is a No-No. What's That? They Have Fun? Drat!

We made it a mandatory several years ago that our summer programs need to prioritize FUN. The number one complaint we heard from young people was that learning to write in school was horrible and that they dreaded it. We work to change that around, and prioritize humor, laughter, joy, and creativity in all our writing instruction. Each and every summer my faith in education is restored when kids say, "I wish my school was like this."

Sh'Zaam! That's the ticket. Joy.

The same is true for teachers. They simply want to teach and build relationships and help kids to grow to the next level. The bureaucracies of schools and systems, however, hamper them (not to mention the horrific politics that continue to creep into the work they love to do). They're frustrated.

So yesterday, two workshops with our writers brought forward laughter, creativity, imagination, and the most important thing: a willingness to share. Afterwards, the kids wanted others to read what they composed. They were proud. Some might say kids can't focus for six hours a day, but we beg to differ. It's not about focus. It is 100% about engagement. If the kids have an interest in what they're learning, they take off in amazing ways. I knew this in the classroom, and I witness this yearly in my role as a National Writing Project director. 

I can't wait to see what the next two days will bring forward during week one. My teachers are amazing. The environment for this summer is out of this world. And summer rejuvenates my faith in education, both K-12 and higher education. 

Here's to another day.