Friday, July 8, 2022

For the First Time in Four Weeks, I Had a Visitor in My Office. I've Named Him Frank, and We Will Get Coffee Every Thursday and Collaborate on Tremendous Goals


You know things are odd, when you come to your office, see a bug, and declare, "Holy cow! I've got somebody to talk to. How are you friend? What do you teach? What's your research? What do you hope to accomplish?"

It's been several weeks since I've seen anyone on campus and I play this game of trying a new parking space every day. Granted, faculty get summers off, but I didn't realize administration did, too. I've been in every day trying to stay afloat with what I have to accomplish, so I was thrilled to have someone to talk with at the water cooler. I asked Frank the fly to let me know when he needed a copier, and that I'd lie low. 

I unpacked more books, paid off another series of vendors, put more teachers into the system, registered 14 more kids, met with a doctoral student from University of Illinois on digital literacies, download articles that need my review, and wrote. I told Frank that, perhaps, we might find him an office when the Fall semester returns and we see if anyone comes back to the physical space. 

Interestingly, I talked with staff in other buildings and their responsibilities have already realigned. They are being promoted to a new role, and the rumor is that they're going to push faculty to have more in-office seat-time. I welcome to see where that takes them. I wish them luck.

Part of me wished for a bug zapper to kill the fly, but the larger part of me was just thankful to have someone to work with for a change. I was on the phone with K-12 teachers across the state anxious about what's next in their careers, mentoring on them on whether or not they wanted to jump into the arena of higher education. I told them, "Talk to Frank. He works harder than the rest of us."

Sometimes I wish I had a magic wand to restructure the entire universe. Again, I keep channeling the three fingers of Grogu and Yoda, and the hand gestures of Umbrella Academy members and Stranger Things. I just want to correct the galaxy....to make it make more sense.

But it doesn't. 

Meanwhile, what a great conversation from the doctoral student from University of Illinois. He's mentored by the best and I hope I was of some minimal support. 

Back to work. They let everyone go on half days (because it's summer). Not me. CWP is in full force.