Saturday, July 9, 2022

To Carry Forward Frank the Horsefly to Another Day, I Also Met Christopher the Connecticut Swallowtail While Taking a Walk with Karal.

Yesterday morning, while sweeping the driveway (I had it sealed), I saw my first monarch. She was settling on the annuals out front, wishing the Cosmos wildflowers would just pop (they were from Kaitlyn & Dominiks' wedding). I said, "Hey, grandma," and drove to my office for the day, only to find Frank the Horsefly upside and on his back on my desk. I blew on him slightly and his wings moved, so I got him into a glass and brought him outside. I will miss my colleague. It was nice having company. Actually, Tracey showed up to pack her retirement from her office, too - so that was exceptionally nice. Definitely will miss her in the years to come.

At 7 pm, when I walked Karal, I found a black swallowtail lying limp on the sidewalk. He seemed to be in good shape, but wasn't moving. I picked him up moved him onto some grass. He seemed a bit exhausted. Then I moved him to a flower and he began feeding. I think he was just dehydrated and needed some juice. I named him Christopher and wished him all the best. It was hot out there. We all need to hydrate.

Then Karal decided to poop not once, but twice on this walk and threw all my karma to the wind. I only had one bag on me and already used it, so when she went number 2 for the number 2 time, poo!, I didn't have a bag. I had to leave it. So much for human civility. I meant well. I always feel guilty. I'll bring an extra bag today and likely scoop the extra poop from yesterday - it's the right thing to do.

Vet appointment and graduation parties today. And I need to do something about the postnasal drip that is killing my throat and giving me a dry cough. Time for the Neti pot to get to work. 

Happy Saturday, all. Be good to your bugs.