Sunday, July 10, 2022

Of Blooms & Birthdays. Celebrating Karal's 2nd Birthday Today. She's Already a Teenager and This is a Good Thing...It's Much Better After Two

Karal wants you to know it's her birthday. It's also been over a year since she's been on Mt. Pleasant and I can't complain too much. She's a dog, but also she's very smart. Yesterday, she fell asleep on her back and, stretching, rolled over her squeaky toy and scared herself out of a stupor. It was hilarious and it serves her right for getting my up at 5 a.m. just because she wanted to eat. 

I also am celebrating that I was able to stand on the paddleboard yesterday and made great progress. I now have to work on turning, and also maneuvering my feet should I want to...some things are easier with feet in different positions. Every time I try something new I fall back in (which also feels great). News flash, though: you use lots of interesting muscles while trying to stay balanced. Who would of thunk so?

I'm also thrilled to see the first bloom of the Kaitlin & Dominic wedding waving in the winds of the lamppost out front. There are many more still to go, but I am loving the bright pop of color. Cosmos are good flowers for this time of year.

Congratulations to the twins, Alana and Mila, who graduated from Masuk High School and are heading to college next year. It was a great afternoon eating graduation party food with Jessica & Luis, parents to the twins. Also wonderful to meet so many relatives.

Tomorrow kicks of four weeks of CWP-crazy, and it's been interesting to look at record to see the boom in 2019 right before Covid and recognizing where we are now as we rework and rethink what we're able to accomplish. In 2019, we served over 221 young people and 20 teachers over 6 weeks. That was insane. It's cut back this year with only 121 youth and just 4 weeks. We didn't advertise, and I'm glad. I don't trust the pace that we achieved several years ago. When I think about it, I don't know how I did it. Oh, that's right...I had a graduate student and definitely more University support. Perhaps this is why I'm in my office on weekends...just trying to keep the good work going.

The research continues.

Okay, Sunday, let's see where it takes us. Chitunga returns from South Carolina at 2 pm and I have to get him from the airport. I look forward to hearing how his trip went.

Here's to your summer blooms!