Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Just Thinking Out Loud - Part Two. Totally Digging Online Teaching While Exploring Fantasy in Sci-Fi, Dystopic Stories with Young Adult Literature

I moved to a digital space last night for numerous reasons: sick students, the weather, saving everyone time to and from campus, and the fact we were talking about the future (or predictions of it) so why not do our learning online. It seemed logical. And it was fun. I even gave bonus points to any student who wanted to dress in Potter-inspired Steam-Punk, Armageddon, Cyber-nerd fashions.  

I practice what I preach and showed up ready to go. 

Actually, the readings and diversity in student choices took over the evening and although I thought I'd let everyone off early, we went the full length because the conversation was simply engaging. I owe this, of course, to the scholars we read, but more importantly to Dr. Sean Connor from University of Arkansas. His piece in Study & Scrutiny was perfect, and his page of questions to apply to such literature was magnificent. I didn't have to add or delete any them because they were perfect. I did, however, because of time, give them options on what they wanted to address when presenting their books. They took on classics, but also explored a few short story collections I've missed, which is totally cool (and I will be adding them next year to my syllabus - perhaps a night of short stories for teens, which I'd love).

I didn't realize I was going to enjoy this particular night as much as I did, but I have to give credit to Sean Connor's article. Not only was it helpful, it also is one I'd like to share with doctoral students wishing to do literacy analysis with YA literature in a research-oriented, thought-provoking ways. I love when you find a piece that has multiple purposes.

Of course, the night classes also ended a 14-hour day and I have another one tonight. I'm exhausted, thinking about how I will make it until 10 this evening, and fully aware that it's the time of the year and I should just ride with it. 

It's in the pacing. It's in the dedication. It's with the love of knowing that in a few weeks, I can take my Christmas Day off and enjoy time with family. I look forward to that most. 

I am very ready for a day with ease.