Sunday, December 18, 2022

And She Chooses To Not Only Be My Best Friend, But To Crowd My Every Space as I Work Tirelessly To Catch Up, Just to Get Ahead for the Next Few Weeks

Here's the rub: I need to not only get ready for the winter-session, but prepare for the Spring semester, all while finishing out the Fall semester. I know this may seem strange for those who aren't in this line of work, but organization is all there is. In order to do whatever I can to do the best for students and teachers working with youth, I need to be twenty miles ahead of myself so a foundation is in place. 

This requires plop-down planning, even when one is inflicted with a stomach bug in the middle of the night, is in need of groceries, and has a sunny day to walk the dog. 

Did I mention it was the NCAA Volleyball Championship and Louisville was playing Texas? That's what kept me motivated for the day. I figured, if I got the work done during the day I could enjoy the game at night, which I did.

And throughout these goals and initiatives, Karal chose she didn't only want to be beside me, but wanted to be on my lap watching every move my fingers made on the keyboard. She curled up and nested, while I kept going, productive.

I can say the winter-session syllabus went out to my students (an overload on a 15-student course) and I drafted a solid syllabi for a course this spring in which there are two sections and I'm mentoring a junior faculty member as she joins the work for the first time. To keep things flowing, the calendar needs to be in place every week, and planning backward is the only option.

Focus. Determination. Passion. Love. Joy. Intent. That's what I'm operating with, as did both the Texas Longhorns and Louisville Cardinals teams last night. I was never a coach at the level that these girls play in college, but I feel the game, the practices, the drills, the skills, and the desire to play one's best. It's why I love this sport. 

And Texas with a 3-0 sweep. They came to play. You can't discredit that in any way. For the love of the game....Congratulations. Louisville should be proud. On a different day, it might have gone different, but last night, the better team one.