Thursday, December 15, 2022

Grad Class Taught Until 9:15. Drive Home 30-Minutes. Frigid Wind Bit My Bones. Needed to Make Dinner & Then Lights Out. No Meetings Until 10 A.M.

There's something eerie about being the last adult out of Canisius Hall on Wednesday Nights. Usually I see my buddy Jay who teaches a couple doors down, but I believe he gave them a take home examination. After Alfred came by to see if I had any trash (which I didn't), it was eerily quiet in the building. I could tell it was cold outside by the way the undergraduates were scurrying from place to place. 

I left the building as undergraduates were finding nooks and crevices to get last-minute cram time in...studying, getting review sessions from peers, or writing papers. The building was loading up with undergrads who camp out, unattended, in the building with what I image are overnighters. They have blankets, food, coffee - they're equipped.

Still, the couple having sex in their car parked next to mine....well, let them be warm. It rocked like the carriage at a Hogwart's Ball. I just got in my car and left, embarrassed that I even had to pass them.

My mind was done for the evening. I wanted warm blankets, a good meal, and my pillows. I celebrated the fact that Tuesday night I fell asleep by 9:30 and slept until 6 a.m. - a huge achievement. I'm not a napper, so good sleeps are always rewarding for the day ahead. 

Today, back to back candidate interviews, followed by back to back student conferences, followed by one recording of The Write Time, and finalizing with one U of L final four tournament game (a tough one, indeed). 

Tomorrow...morning and then afternoon meetings. I know we all want a break, but meetings seems to be the way we operate. Don't worry. I usually bring work to get done.

I envy, terribly, those who teach in southern and western schools -- they start in August, yes, but they get out in time to have a break before the holidays. It seems delicious to me, and I can't even imagine the joy of having down time before family time. But then I feel terrible for K-12 schools this year, most of whom are running until the 23rd. Ugh. Those pour teachers. They need breathing and healing space, too. Parents may have one or two kids in their homes (okay maybe a few more), but teachers have 100s....it's exhausting, and there is never rest.

They deserve the rest more than any of us. I hope they find it.