Thursday, June 30, 2022

Ain't It Obvious When Crandall Doesn't Have to Work 14-Hour Days. How Do You Know? Because You Get Mental (& Physical) Shots Like This

I wrote until noon and then asked, "Karal. Want to walk?" which of course she did, but she didn't know I was taking her seaside (Wait? It's not the weekend!)

With 80 degree temperatures and no humidity, how could I not. The shade felt like air conditioning, there are no crowds, and I really do live in a spectacular location. Which way should I go? Left? Right? Both Ways? Of course.

There's six legs between us, and a leash. We're not worried about the clock and we simply follow the seagulls.

In the afternoon, I got Isaiah out for his second road lesson, and we headed right back to the water way. There was hardly anyone there, and in anticipation of the holiday weekend, I guess they're saving up their water time. That, and Stratford's big 4th of July celebration is tonight. It was eerily tranquil. Just a couple of locals and Karal.

It's amazing too how raked the sand is, smooth and in anticipation of the athletes using the nets this weekend. I couldn't help but think of Lossine and Abu - all the afternoons on these nets taking on anyone who would challenge us, one summer fasting away on nothing in our stomach because of Ramadan. 8 years ago, I could work 8 hours, come home and run 4 miles, then go with the twins to the beach to play volleyball, come home cook, then walk the dog in the evening only to repeat. I'm wondering how I found all that time and energy to accomplish what I did.

Today, it heats up to 87. I've learned another book order arrived to my campus office and should bring in the one that arrived to my home. I also need to prep everything for the post-4th of July onslaught of literacy labs.

Ah, it was this beaches that made it all worth it back in the day. Teach hard in the mornings and play hard at night. Wait, are they 30 now? Close to it? Phew.

Okay, world, hoping to get the work done early so I might float in a pool this afternoon. I try to get it in where and when I can, but it's not easy. It's definitely smoother when you aren't planning courses and grading papers, that's for sure.