Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Live Footage of What Happens After Taking One Afternoon Off to Read a Book at the Beach (When He Tries to Take a Break, the Next Day Always Happens)

From 6 a.m. until 10 p.m. yesterday I sat on my computer putting out fires. I took one afternoon off (Monday) to read a book at the beach on Juneteenth (it was a holiday after all) and then open my email on Tuesday to one demand, after another demand, after another demand. 

This is the trick in higher education. Administrators and staff take breaks, are wonderful about chiseling their own time off, but when they return, they all get back to you with responses for what you requested while they were away. I wasn't away. I was in my office on the weekend grading Capstone projects and doing budget work, because during the week there's no time to get it done. When I finished at 3 on Monday afternoon, I chilled for a few hours.

BOOM. Tuesday. All the work from the weekend was completed, but now people returned to their offices after taking time off, and have all these demands, because they went away and now want work done their way, right away (and it's not even Burger King). 

My favorite was a call from an administrative assistant who was called from another administrative assistant to report that W9s to pay authors were filled out by the authors incorrectly. They looked correct to me, and I called the authors for corrections and they said, "This is how we always fill them out." I say, "That's what I thought," so I send them back in and this time they go through...it's illogical, but that is the game of Workday and how the University operates. It rarely makes sense, and you keep doing the same thing over and over until finally it makes its way to getting done. It's like Russian roulette...you never know what will result. You keep hoping that you'll finally reach someone actually working in their office and they finally approve it without randomly sending it back will illogical reasons. 

And then there are students who suddenly have the epiphany that not turning work in for a final, even after an extension, results in a failing grade, which has been the warning all along.

Of course, revise and resubmits arrive, as well. 

Yet, the best burning dumpster fire dive is when the State Department contacts the University about a 2021-2022 financial award that is coming (but not here yet) and needs to be spent by June 30th. That's 9 days. We got the award notification in August of last year, heard nothing despite all the calls and involvement of politicians, and then get told it's coming (yesterday), but won't be there quite yet, but could you spend it by next week. 

Oh, it was already spent. Crandall's been doing overtime with professional development to cover costs promised and never delivered. 

Shoot. I'd just like to make dinner. Wait. Even lunch. I'd like to have time to eat.

Today's a new day and off to the University I go to get things done (and ready for this...those from the administrative side email me to say, "Oh, we won't be in. We're working from home this summer."

Okay. Par for the course.

A grad student posted a photo on Facebook last night thanking me for all the support she's received. Another teacher piped in, "I don't think many know the length Crandall goes to support kids and teachers." 

I'm sitting here thinking, "Nope. I can't even comprehend the insanity, either. I'm just trying to stay afloat" It shouldn't be this difficult.