Monday, June 6, 2022

About That Ladder. Nothing Like a Next Door Neighbor Putting Her House on the Market to Get This Guy Motivated to Paint His Front Porch. Her Purchase Benefits My House.

I call it my Kwame Alexander porch. Why? Because it collapsed around the same time I was hired by Kwame and his people to write middle school curriculum for several YA texts. I congregated a team of CWP people, and then went to town on my own. As people backed out, I also did theirs and it paid off. The issue has been, however, that the outside was left gray, when my house is a creamy yellow. 

Soleil, to be exact. That's the color.

Yesterday, I finished grading by noon and said, "Dang, you have 8 hours to finish a project," so I tackled the front porch. I love painting and the temperature was gorgeous. I brought a chip to Home Depot, we matched it, and the color is very close to the rest of the house (albeit it a shade lighter and brighter)

The issue is that I loaned my latter to a colleague several months ago and she never returned in. She's also out of town. 

So, I did what I could. I now want to have the rest of the house painted. I can do the first floor, but I'm not comfortable painting the 2nd tier. It's way too high, although I think a new coat will look exceptionally good. I've had siding priced, as well as painting, and I'm sorry...but if I could do it all myself, it'd likely cost less than $200. It's the labor that I don't necessarily have time for. I would, if I could, because I find the whole process healing and calming. 

It is definitely drying a shade lighter, but that's okay. I love that the new shade is named after the sun, which is totally a reason I'm okay with keeping it in the yellow family. It's calming and beach-y, which I love.

Alright, it's Monday again, and back to teaching a four-hour class. There's only four of them left (and I have no words for how intense it is to crunch so much in a tight space. I am doing what I can...

...except my laundry. I need to get the paint of my shorts and t-shirt (and still need to finish the work as soon as possible. I'm stoked now and want to use this weather to pain the entire house. I also need to do the trim in white. Way overdue (and optimistic).

Homeownership and adulthood. Who'd of ever guessed it?