Saturday, June 25, 2022

Congratulations, Dr. Tracey Robert. You Deserver Preferment (Retirement) More Than Most. You Are a Legend and Love You For It

I’m honored to take part in the celebration of Dr. Tracey Robert, distinguished faculty from the Counselor Education department, award-winning educator, and most importantly, tremendous mentor and friend. I was told I have only three minutes, but that is difficult for me as I like to write and see where my words take me, and I like to reflect as Tracey knows. Next to my mom, Tracey Robert is one of my best blog readers – she’s followed my daily reflections for several years now, and has helped to proctor my sanity and insanity as a fellow faculty member and human being in southern Connecticut.

 

I have three things I must admit. The first is that I have a lifetime supply of Spiedie Sauce from Binghamton, New York, because whenever Tracey and Leo are near Broom County they picks me up a bottle. The second confession is that Dr. Robert has spent almost twelve years correcting my mispronunciation of her last name. Like many of you, I put an “S” to it out of some strange need to pluralize Robert….Maybe it’s because I know the “S” has always stood for Supermen and Superwomen, and Tracey is a Superwoman. Finally, the third statement is I’m learning I’m not a huge fan of retirements. They scare me to death, only because I’ve watched my own parents retire, a decade of veteran teachers retire while I taught in Kentucky, and now another decade of wonderful human beings retiring from the Graduate School of Education and Allied Profession….whoops, my bad, the School of Education and Human Development.

 

Actually, the new school name works well because much of my schooling at Fairfield University has come from colleagues like Dr. Robert. She has always been an ally in the profession and I consider her central to my human development, too. I still see myself as a professor of the practice and junior faculty member. I remember the days when faculty members could often be found in their offices working, always coaching and guiding the newbies, and Tracey was one of the best. She was always present, extremely knowledgeable, and 150% devoted to her students. For individuals like me and Dr. Colwell who are always trying to keep up with the responsibilities of our jobs, it was the mentorship and guidance of senior faculty like Tracey Robert that kept us going, having faith, believing in the work, and trusting the systems that were in place. From Tracey, I learned academic excellence and it was under her wings that I chaired our faculty meetings for several years, and then served on the University’s Rank & Tenure Committee, finishing this year at the Chair.

 

For anyone who has ever worked with me, you might get a chuckle that Tracey was the one who handed me the Robert’s Rule of Order book. Funny, I just got the connection between the book and Tracey’s last name. For me, she has always been the order, organization, infrastructure, and reliability of our school. If in doubt, consult with Tracey. What would Tracey do?

 

One of my neighbors was walking his daughters this morning, a graduate from Fairfield University’s counseling program the year I arrived. He’s currently a School Counselor at Pomperaug High School, where he’s been since he graduated, and always tells me Dr. Robert was one of his most influential professors. Jeff Blanchet, Class of 2012, texted me this morning after I told him Dr. Tracey Robert was retiring: 

 

I was blessed with the opportunity to have Dr. Robert as one of my very first professors when I began the Masters in School Counseling program in 2008. I always looked forward to attending her class each week (even after working a full 8-hour day and fighting I95 traffic coming from Stamford). She taught with humor, wit, and had clear but high expectations of her students. I wish her well as she takes on the next chapter of her life and thank her for everything she taught me. Please tell her I said Hi.

 

Hey, Tracey, Jeff Blanchet says Hi.

 

I also received the following from Dr. Eileen O’Shea, a woman I had the honor of serving three years with on Rank & Tenure, and the epitome of integrity and grace. I wondered if she would be able to attend this afternoon’s celebration, but she sadly couldn’t. Ever since I was hired to campus, Tracey Robert has spoken extremely high of Eileen, and for the last three years I’ve learned why. I received an email this morning asking me to PLEASE share the following, so I will. I also promised her I wouldn’t sing Dixie’s Midnight Runners, which I do every time she’s in my presence.

 

Ah, Tracey. She has been such a significant mentor, colleague, and friend to me for more than 14 years. She mentored and supported me in every aspect of the tenure track role: as a developing teacher, scholar, and servant. She’s always been there.

 

We connected on several fronts, and I noted Tracey's skillful abilities as a career counselor were abundant as she counseled me toward becoming a successful faculty member.

 

For example, concerning my teaching, Tracey came to several of my classes over time to provide a PRoT. More recently, she helped create an innovative interdisciplinary spirituality course for undergraduate students at Egan. She had the foresight to collaborate with the Murphy Center and incorporated 1:1 spiritual direction into the course. This pilot course ran during the height of COVID. The 1:1 spiritual guidance assisted our nursing students in processing what they were witnessing/experiencing in the clinical arena. Students reported that this course provided an anchor for them when the world around them seemed to drift.

 

Tracey and I held another connection as well - our faith. She encouraged me to attend Collegium. And later participate in a yearlong program of Spiritual Direction. Both programs provided me with a spiritual richness and grounding that I can share with nursing students, especially those who hope to work in the palliative care or hospice arenas.

 

Tracey also encouraged me to join Faculty Learning Communities through the CAE, which introduced me to other faculty (outside of nursing) interested in spirituality and Mindfulness Meditation. Both of these communities led to scholarship outcomes via presentations and book chapters. Over time, Tracey collaborated with me on five conference or workshop presentations, two book chapters, and one data-based peer-reviewed publication.

 

Lastly, in the area of service, Tracey supported me through a most recent 3-year term on the University Rank and Tenure Handbook Committee. She had served several times previously, so she offered much-needed check-ins after finishing our work. Although the experience was daunting, learning about our colleague's expertise and passions was enriching. Tracey provided processing or debriefing after such intensive work.

 

Today, I am a tenured Full Professor, but I did not accomplish this achievement alone. It takes the willingness of mentors who give guidance and support unconditionally over YEARS. Thank you, Dr. Tracey Robert, for all you have done for me and many others. You are a cherished colleague, mentor, and, more importantly, trustworthy friend. Congratulations on your retirement. I wish you all the best in the next chapter of your life, and I hope to see you more often!~Eileen.

 

Note: I’m not counting Eileen’s words as part of my three minutes. We’re all going to pretend she was here to read them herself.

 

So, I’m going to simply say a few other things. It really is unimaginable that next year I won’t see you on a daily basis, bumping shoulders and figuring things out in our hallway of Canisius Hall. There won’t be our critical reflecting sessions, where we work to problem solve for the school and what is best for the students (as the students have always been most important to us). I’ll know longer have my free counseling, either, as I rant about my work with CWP or work through issues with raising the boys. Ah, they’re all grown now, so that hasn’t happened as much in recent years.

 

This is the part where I can say, “Go, forth! Join Leo in the emancipated world that is free from bureaucracies, obligations, arguments, and frustrations. You deserve it.”

 

I should probably say here that I’m a lot like Wendy Kohli. I’m a bit of a leaker, too.

 

I love you. I appreciate you, and I admire you for always finding a way to keep your head above water to do what is right, even as we’ve experienced what is wrong. You have been a life-saver for me, and I’m thankful the Great Whatever had you before me to greet me on the Fairfield Journey.

 

I know so many of us on campus are wishing you the best, and now I just really want a hug and take a selfie with her so I can post this on my blog tomorrow. 

 

Poem submitted for the Memory book:

Tracey,


It’s still April, I’m knee-deep in VerseLove ’22, and I have been in total denial of your departure. Ah, the days of simply seeing eye to eye, doing the work needing to be done, and looking to one another wondering, “Is any of this for real?” I know that I’ve been made (and trusted you in the making) because of your strength, integrity, and leadership. It has never wavered. It has has comforted, listened, understood, and laughed with me, and for that I’m super thankful.


T his one hits hard, the bump in the

R oad on an already-choppy highway

A lready with dimming light…who will be the shine of

C anisius, the mental mind-muscle & strength? 

E very one and their narrative (we’ve learned this….

Y et only a few are honest with the story).


R outines change. Pages turn. 

O nward the hourglass trickles, and sand is earned -

B ooks teach us this over and over again - 

E volution of the moments at exactly the right time.

R etirement will be your badge of honor…well deserved.

T his one, though, hits hard. I’ll still need you in my pocket.


In truth, I simply want to celebrate your dedication, ethics, mentoring, and wisdom. I’ve always appreciated your presence, reliability, and advice. Most importantly, I’ve valued the trust. Ah, but it is selfish of me to want it to stay forever, especially now when it truly is the best time for you to start anew. 


I write to simply share my appreciation and to wish you all the best with what’s still to come


Congratulations, Tracey (and elephant shoe),


Bryan