Friday, June 24, 2022

What a Difference a Day Makes - The Sun Peaked Through the Clouds from Time to Time, and Karal Was Loving It (and So Did I)

The dog doesn't like when I do a 14-hour day, so when I'm able to walk her, she's much happier. I walked her yesterday, and she growled and frolicked in the sunlight until I did. I believe she'd chew my laptop into a billion pieces if she could, as I'm on it almost all hours of the day. Yesterday, it was writing, editing, reporting, recommending, creating, and reflecting. As soon as one thing is contended with, I move to the other. Of course, I'm setting deadlines for myself, because I really, really do want a couple of beach days if I can get them. And my lawn needs to be mowed. Tomorrow, sunny and 86!

I now have every teacher from the Cultivated Women's Collective in the system to be paid. You'd think that would be an easy task, but our University uses Workday, which staff members across campus have renamed, "Workmore." Why am I  quoting staff? Well, I don't have assistance, so I do all my administrative tasks myself. Hence, Workmore and I are daily friends. I don't have an ability to push any work onto others. Yes, that's synonymous with what administrators do, but as an administrator for CWP, I'm just not that lucky. I long for the days when I had support.

We also are closer to the time-crunched state grant work that arrived, well, Monday. We were given two weeks to spend a grant that should have been here in September. I keep receipts, but now they must all be processed....we reprocessed, because I used my own money to cover costs in anticipation the state money was coming. Having grants is like being awarded a great chunk of money only to put your own accounts into peril until the University catches up and pays you back. It's gotten better, as I now have a credit card for CWP and can hold the insanity there rather than my own checking account (but still have to do so from time to time). And of course, this all goes through Workmore.

Today is Friday. I actually cleaned my work office yesterday in anticipation of July and all the kids, so I don't predict I'll go to campus today. Instead, I'm meeting with others about National Writing Project collaborations. 

And there's the lawn. I need to mow the lawn. 

The kayak is screaming to get to the shore, too. I want to be sure it happens. It's Friday, y'all.