Friday, June 17, 2022

30 Years Later, From 19 Year Olds Studying In London, a Reunion in Stratford, Connecticut, with Melissa Mejias...Total Joy

In the thick of Covid, sitting on my front porch and wondering about the world, I began searching for friends from the time in 1992 when I went on a program called Literature of Exile and the Black British Experience. I met life-changing individuals, including Melissa Mejias, who became a core to who I wanted to be as an individual and who offered fuel for a lifetime of teaching with purpose. My Puerto Rican, NYC, Long Island, kind, generous, and giving friend. I found her on Linkd-In and left a message: I'm in Connecticut...if ever you check this, give me a call.

It came months later while I was visiting in my parents in Syracuse. We talked for hours, catching up on what happened since you left Binghamton. She became an English teacher, moved to Australia to teach, then Arizona, and settled in NYC Schools where she moved into administration and then the Superintendent's Office. She is officially retired now from years of devoting herself to others, happy in marriage with two puppy dogs on the north west side of the Apple near Central Park.

Last week she said, "I want to get out of the city. Care for a visit?"

And she came...beautiful, spirited, sunshine-like Melissa. All colorful. Total pizazz and sophistication, and we went to lunch on the water at Knapp's Landing, viewed the shoreline, shopped at Mellow Monkey, walked Karal around Stratford, and finally departed. 

Amazing how 30 years could pass and we picked up exactly where we left off...fueled by our youth, fueled by a career with youth, and always in search of total joy. We are simply older versions of the same selves we once were.

It was a spectacular day. Now, however, I'm on campus preparing for 200 8th graders and a day of workshops, authors, Writing Our Lives and Winning with Hope.  

Ah, Mejias. You've always been hope and even though we parted for 3 decades, I've channeled your light, wisdom, and beauty. It was so wonderful to be reunited with you yesterday once again.