Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Revenge of the Nerds, Circa 1991, at Binghamton University. Little Did Anyone Know Then What an Absolute Dork I'd Truly Become

Still in preparation of Friday's Hope Wins workshops, I'm tracing the story of how I actually came to be, telling the story of how 4 years at Binghamton University changed my life for the good and set me on the road of being the nerd I am today. Yes, I celebrate the labels.

Truth is, nothing made me happier than a viewing of Revenge of the Nerds in the late 80s, and I always fashioned myself a Poindexter. When he pulled out his electric violin, I tell you, I was simply energized. It was fun to be him and the others for a night.

I have no idea what this evening entailed, and think this was Tracy, a girl from Buffalo who was a year behind me at Hinman Hall. 

Another truth, I never returned to that campus, simply because I couldn't return. I loved every second of my four years there and wanted to 'snow globe' the memories as I had them held in my head. I was, and continue to be, afraid of returning because I want to keep what I once knew in tact throughout the rest of my life. Sure, I look over the distance of I-81 when I drive through, but I never stop. I just grow nostalgic.

Ah, but nerdiness is hard and I need this Tuesday to be the ultimate in nerd-dumb. I have to grade like a madman, prepare like a fiend, and love life like anyone who overcomes what life's supposed to be, only to make it better. 

If only I could return to that age once more and capture what it was really like.