Wednesday, June 29, 2022

It's Always a Nice Day When You Look Out the Window of Your Office and See a Simpson Sky - We All Need the Blue and White Days to Motivate Us

I'm not sure I should be happy that I'm in my office all summer and most days, but that is the way of a National Writing Project Director. I'm also happy to report that teachers are receiving checks for the work during the year (okay, Workday. You do pay attention), and even more stoked about the Printing departments ability to make awesome notebook stickers for me (and really quickly). Sitting with them today, I also learned that they can give me a bid on POW! Power of Words, so if it is good, I won't have to pay for shipment from Florida. Really? Could this be? Something wonderful and positive on our own campus? We shall see.

I also bathed Karal and washed her collar. She's a trip, as she'll step into the bathtub and seems to love all the attention. I've not had a dog like this, other than Tizzy. My favorite part, though, is when I dry her off and let her outside and she has this Bambi moment where she can't stop bouncing around as if she's a brand new creature. Then, when I walk her, she holds her nose in the air acting vain and stuff. Cocky dog. Look at me. I am clean and beautiful.

Predictions for Connecticut today are perfection. 80 degrees, no humidity, and no clouds. I want to read on the beach, but I'm thinking the Kayak needs to be replanted for the summer. She misses the salt water and doesn't care for the spiders and mice in the garage. $10 says there are nests inside of her. Ugh. Didn't think about that.

I have to work, though, as a pile and then some fell on my lap and I need to get to the stuff as soon as possible. 

And note: Freshman parents who have been notoriously brigning entitled youth to University campuses for a few generations now? Well, apples don't fall far from trees. It is amazing what you see of parents across campus as they navigate orientation for their baby-boos. Today, trying to leave campus, I watched one woman park her car in the Stag circle to argue with her daughter who wouldn't get in the car, holding up traffic for 20 minutes. All the honks, people getting out of the car to address her, and requests for her to move to the side did no good. Mommy was talking to her baby girl. Baby girl needed mommy's attention. 

Phew. 

I'll cherish Chitunga's drop off at LeMoyne for the rest of the my life. It was mature, sentimental, encouraging, and adult. These kids are going to college. Enough Apache helicoptering already.