Tuesday, June 7, 2022

ZOOM Confessional: Summer Courses, 2 Nights, 4-Hours a Night, & Capstone (Where It All Comes Together)(with thanks to @easms)

Those of us who run summer institutes, youth conferences, summer school programs, and young adult literacy labs should reconsider saying "yes" to teaching a graduate capstone course. Truth is, I helped redesign the sequence for our grad program after years of recording complaints and what I hoped to be a fix is only in its second year. Not a fix, but closer to understanding what works and doesn't work.

Action research, student teaching (or semester of teaching)/data collection, Capstone to work through findings. 

The problem, however, isn't with the content or order...it's simply with the fact that crunching courses in tight spaces, especially after a year of exhaustion, is simply too much for any human being. Faculty and students need breaks from the routine to regroup. It's a heavy load on all of us and I have to ask, "Why are we doing this?"

With that noted, students sent notes to me last night saying, "That didn't feel like 4 hours at all. The time flew by." It was a great class with tremendous productivity.

I am very thankful to Dr. Ellen Shelton for calling in and sharing her work with in-practice teachers and the idea of reflective practice (classroom teacher for 15 years! Woot Woot). Her expertise was so helpful. I'm also thankful to Mr. King for sharing where and how he's adapted his research into district-wide and national PD.

Both named that the best teachers are always learning, growing, and revising their ways of teaching. I'm thankful that they offered locations so the students didn't need to hear me squawking/croaking/stressing. It's a lot for anyone who chooses to teach these courses (too much, in fact)(and for adjunct pay - egads!). 

I had every minute planned and we kept the pace with an interactive Padlet. But I'm entering this Tuesday as toast. Burned toast. With no butter in the fridge. Just a cup of coffee and a reflection that I am truly thankful for my colleagues who are willing to visit our soon to be released graduates. We're all in this together. 

Made with Padlet