Wednesday, June 8, 2022

The Metaphor? Well, This Is About Right. What It's Like Working as a Faculty Member in Higher Education Trying to Get Things Done

There was a conference. #3. Then there wasn't a conference. #3. Why? Because systems don't talk to systems and everyone prioritizes their needs over everyone else's. Long story short...the space reserved for the last of 3 conferences was given to a program that trumped that of CWPs. I get it. It makes sense. BUT it turns out the program they are having is an entire week later. They reserved space all across campus in anticipation they would need to set up..

...and it's summer and people take 1/2 days on Fridays.

...and it's a 3-day weekend for Juneteenth...

...and they want the set up to stay as they want it, even if it is the same as I need it a week before their event.

I was on campus all day trying to find a solution, and simply got more stressed. But then I received a call that the original space I wanted would be easy for us to have.

Huh? I guess the requests finally fell in the right hands. 24 hours of pulling out my hair.

Although trains, planes, and automobiles were arranged and paid for and school buses are all set for 200 youth, I was very close to calling it all off because I couldn't get a compromise.

Then poof. All was well again. But the past 24 hours was unnecessary, especially for those of us who don't do 1/2 day Fridays and who work on weekends and holidays to keep on top of the work we're supposed to do. 

Okay, Wednesday. Another 4-hour turbo to teach.

Onward.