Saturday, September 10, 2022

The Things that Make Me Tap Dance on a Saturday Morning. @halseanderson's SPEAK Arrived & I'm Super to Have Possible Futures as My New Book Joint

Dr. Lauren Anderson amazes me.

I met her a few years ago, we bonded, and then she left academia to do more for the world, including the opening of Possible Futures in New Haven. Yesterday, I was at Hill Central K-8 revving up a new school year with professional development and received a text from Lauren to say, "Your books are here." 

As one of my back-to-school rituals, I scan local wish lists of teachers I love and do what I can. When William King posted he was in need of Speak for his English language learners (who are devouring YA texts), in was a no-brainer. These are the Ubuntu kids from summer and they are a treasure to work with. Done. A class set.

I also splurged on Rachel Ignotofsky's The Wondrous Workings of Planet Earth, Ben Ork's Every Leave a Hallelujah and Solar: The Sword of the Monarchs by Pam Muñoz Ryan for our National Park collaboration with Weir Farm National Historical Park. We'll be reading landscapes, and writing nature once again!

So, Lauren's new store is extra special because she planted it in a community that does not have easy-access to books. She's serving kids and adults of New Haven with some of the best writers and resources in the world. She's showcasing local artists, too, and has a community space so that outside groups can gather and meet. It is the real deal, and now I want to do a Connecticut Writing Project mixer there....we can gather, read, write, and share. I love it. I didn't want to leave. In fact, I put the boxes of books in my Subaru, then went back in and made a few more purchases for myself (okay, I admit it. Stunt Boy by Jason Reynolds and Goliath by Tochi Onyebuchi were selfish, and just for me). 

There's nothing better than an independent book store (that is also dog friendly), and I love the fact that members of the neighborhood already shout out to her when they see her (and Sugar, too). New Haven is the city where Yale resides, and the two Americas are blatantly obvious to anyone who chooses to visit. Yes, I take advantage of the art events and festivals geared towards the University crowds, but I'm also in local schools all over the city who operate with minimum resources and access. I love that Possible Futures chose to be in a space that is local, convenient, customer friendly, and purposeful - to serve the overlooked and too often forgotten. It's admirable. 

So, it's been a no-brainer to order books from her for a few years now, but definitely the reasons are more obvious ow that Possible Lives opened. And I love the flow of people who already know she's there, come by to say hi, and make their purchases --- even the grandmothers who come in to read a book to their grandchildren, then buy another to take home. 

If only more business operated with such joy and love for the people...imagine that world.