Saturday, September 3, 2022

Not Loving the Date of this Calendar and the Promise of Another Circus-of-a-Year Ahead...Sort of Kicking and Screaming My Way Through This Weekend

I do it to myself. Work that is. I go at it almost of every week of the year and when I have time off, it's usually a working vacation where I'm going for work or I am returning to Syracuse to help family. So when a new calendar kicks in gear for another year I'm like, "Wait. I need a break. I need mindless adventure, travel, and no responsibilities." It's been many, many years since I've had such time and I don't think that break has occurred while at Fairfield. I keep dreaming it will one day come.

As a result, I take hours here and there, sometimes a weekend, and sometimes short road trip.

That is why Labor Day weekend (where I really need to labor), I'm like, "Nooooo. don't make it all return!"

Actually, I don't mind the CWP work with teachers and K-12 youth and I love teaching and doing research with colleagues across the nation. It's the other bureaucracy that comes with the job and its leadership. I'm like, "Don't make me. Don't make me. I don't want to return to that again. I don't have the civility in me any more."

And yet, here it is...three days and the nonstop chaos begins. Ah, but I can say I don't have the R&T Chair responsibilities on me twos year and that is a tremendous relief.

Aiming for tremendous productivity this morning so I can have the afternoon and evening in West Haven with friends. I will try. I will really, really try.