Tuesday, September 27, 2022

One of My Favorite Poems Ever Submitted to Me by a Student. It Was of Her Then-Boyfriend, Spence. I Always Think About This Piece When Teaching Graphic Novels

Is is Friday yet? I'm realizing the weekend getaway was actually a weekend distraction and I've been working like a madman to catch up for the week. My brain is good for only so long before it becomes mud. After 14 hours last night, it was a mudslide.

Anyway, this week's theme focuses on graphic novels and I allowed each of my students to choose one they wanted to read. Only one of the seven read such work fiendishly, the others have always been scared by it. Again, I'm looking forward to the conversations that result, as I continue to teach the course as collaborative discovery rather than authoritative doctrine.

I remember getting this poem submitted to the State of Kentucky portfolio assessment and thinking, "I wonder how well this will do." The art around the heart is questioning, as the t-shirt is 100% words and mathematical problems to depict her high school sweetheart. It was stunning, perfect, distinguishable, but totally non-conforming from the training guides the state gave (that was and is Brown...the reason I adored that space). 

My instinct was to have everyone read Jerry Craft, but then I realized we are stronger to all read different pieces and to bring the conversation together collectively. If suddenly everyone is inspired to read seven additional books then I know that this is a win/win for the course. 

My thinking is that today's generation communicates visually in ways that turn cave drawings into movies, and thought-processes into posters. Because we've become digital, fast-paced, and more witty with our daily narratives, I believe graphic novels are perfect ensembles for story-telling. They take forever to creative, and I always challenge my literate folk who are text-abundant to think what life would be like if they were to draw their responses rather than develop long prose with citations. It's a different mode to communicate (and word-heavy people would likely falter, but those who can communicate visually often bloom). 

That's the point. I imagine we'll always have text-oriented narratives, but with phones, Tik-Tok, YouTube, memes, etc...I can't help but think our crafts have developed additional talents that would otherwise be excluded. 

This is all to say, I can't wait to see what they bring. I also can't wait for this event in New Haven next month. Spread the word.