Thursday, September 22, 2022

And That Made For a Long Day. 1st School. 8 a.m.. First Campus Responsibility 11 a.m.. Panel 7 p.m.. And Class Ended 9:15 p.m. Home by 10 p.m.

When teachers who are taking graduate courses, or professors who work in K-12 schools name the fact that they are exhausted, there's a reason. 14-hour days are not sustainable, but that is what we expect and have normalized for our teachers and our teacher educators. Wake up....work all day. Go to bed. Weekends, catch up, but likely attend other educational shenanigans and summer, more of the same. There has never been such a thing as summer's off (well, I stand corrected. There are many who take advantage of this and trust me....students, administrators...and colleagues see it all). 

Sometimes, I'm like bless their souls for feeding their souls.

Last night, I had the pleasure of co-presenting with Drs. Kris Sealey, Gayle Alberda, and Rachelle Brunn-Bevel on Censorship. We know each other well, but have never been put together in the same gathering, although I've often worked with Sealey and Brunn-Bevel on MLK Convocation Week and the workshops surrounding this work, including the Youth Leadership Academy.

And I got to present alongside three superstars. I'm not sure how it was received by the audience, but I think the Library and Lisa Thornell have to be pleased. It filled up nicely. Go, Lisa! Go!

I presented on Banned if we do, Banned if we don't, highlighting a few censorship issues in the local community, (the QR code will lead you to what I had to say) and more importantly highlighting resources that counter such criminality. I'm thankful to the YA writers who are advocates for reading, diversity, and inclusivity. They write for the young people I've always worked with, and not the individuals who want to censor knowledge for U.S. schools. 

Dr. Alberta discussed censorship from a constitutional framework, Dr. Brunn-Bevel approached the work from the University standpoint, and Dr. Sealey deconstructed procedures adopted by Fairfield University to protect students, faculty, and staff.

I filled up my notepads with information I learned from the other presenters, and the Q&A went over by 30 minutes, which I consider a success.

Then, of course, I had to teach. 

This morning, I am going to the dentist. Good times! Rewards! Accolades! Joy!

More importantly, I'm refocusing my attention to a wedding in the Adirondack's, and a bride who is VIP to me, the boys, our household, and our way of knowing. The Rhino-dolphin is getting married and I'm so happy to celebrate her commitment. I'm also happy about having a tin-roofed house for a few days and to appreciate the foliage, the lakes, and the natural landscape. 

...and the low of 35 degrees, with 58 as the high. I've forgotten how to dress (and pack) for that.

Yes, I'll be writing...but I'm doing so in a place and space that is not here. And for that I'm thankful.