Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Back-to-School Gifting...One Way to Put Joy in the Air is to Simply Think Ahead and Deliver At Just the Right Moment

I knew eventually William King would come around in search of Ain't Burned All the Bright by Jason Reynolds (illustrations by Jason Griffin), which he left with me because his car was full after Ubuntu Academy and they were really heavy --- have you ever lifted 50 copies of this text? I was right. He came knocking yesterday afternoon and I was ready. I purchased t-shirts for him and Jessica as back-to-school gifts.

Ubuntu (I am because we are)

I sent him on his way with the t-shirts, still fueled by the amazing time we had this summer with 38 incredible youth.

Last night's class went fine, but now it is time for a long day and a late class tonight (which I need to work on this morning). 

As a bonus to the first night, I gave each of my graduate students a copy of Jason's book and then downloaded him reading it on audible. Yesterday was National Read a Book Day, so I said, "Let's read our first book written for children and adolescents and figure out what's on the mind of the Ambassador for Young Adult Literature." When they saw the size of the book I think they all cringed. Then, with his voice and the first page, it was accomplished with love.

Yo! He's a fast reader, though. Dang. 

Onward we go. Another day.