Friday, September 23, 2022

After FDR Showed Us Around We Carried On to Saranac Lake, Ate at Bitters & Bones, Then Checked Into Our Cabin...High Today 45 Degrees. Yikes

Any morning that begins with the dentist usually doesn't end well. For all of those people wondering about tuition loan forgiveness, I'd really like dental-work forgiveness. My mouth is worth more than I am. 

Tunga navigated our way north, so we stopped outside of Poughkeepsie to visit with FDR & Elanor, his childhood home, and the privileges (a National Park) and then we headed to Albany and straight north. I got worried at one point because we were getting close to empty and there were no gas stations. Finally, we rolled into a town with a Stewarts and I was like, Phew! That would have been an adventure I wouldn't want. Can you imagine being in the middle of the mountains and running out of gas on back roads?

We made it to Lake Placid, then Saranac Lake, before finding our cabin home, and a place open past 9 p.m. for dinner. Crazy. Bitters and Bones was the local young' un scenes and like most bar crowds, it was bopping. The food was really good, and I got falafel, which I am pretty sure they served with wasabi. It was spicy. It's been a while since I've inhabited a young bar scene. Drunk dudes are a breed of their own, especially in their 20s.

Today, I'm not sure what we'll do, except sit by the heaters in winter coats. The space is really beautiful, and I'm sure we'll explore the area some more. I'd like to check out more of lake Placid, especially in day light. We're at the end of a dirt road, but I was impressed to see it was more residential than the drive in, which made it seem like absolutely no one lives in the area. Of course it was dark, beginning to rain, and foggy, so we couldn't see much. 

The cabin has three rooms, four beds, a living room, kitchen, and bathroom. The best feature, I imagine is the wrap-around porch, but I'm not going out there without ski boots. It's freezing, even if they have lights hanging up. 

It was only brief, but I can very easily see why this is an attraction for multiple people as it is stunning up here, especially with the changing leaves, mountains, and lakes. I'm looking forward to seeing more of where we are in the daylight, and this morning, taking comfort in the fact that there is coffee and I brought apple cider donuts to start the day.

Dang...those apple cider donuts (heated for 25 seconds in the microwave). Phew!