Friday, September 2, 2022

It Was a Gorgeous Day for a Faculty Picnic. Looks Like a New Year Is Upon Us Rather Quickly (Guess Who Will Be Laboring This Weekend?)

I'm not sure I'm ready, but I knew that yesterday would kick off the new academic calendar. CWP-Fairfield summer work ended mid-August, and now it's time for fall semester. Zip...zap...zoom. K'boom. And yesterday I got to pick up a new colleague from S. Korea who is subletting another faculty member's home this semester. She flew 24 hours and I wasn't jet lagged - even came to campus. That is remarkable. I'd want to sleep!

It was a great event and the Faculty Welfare Committee should be very proud. I think it was the nicest picnic they've ever thrown, and the turnout was amazing. Not much representation from the School of Education, but it was wonderful to meet a new hire in counselor ed!!! Syracuse grad, YOU KNOW! He's from Uganda and his family is delightful.

I should note the photo was early on and that crowd quadrupled. 

It's always wonderful to see the hospitality and kindness of so many faculty from across the campus - it's a great reminder that there's a network out there that remains remarkable.

Today is Friday. I'm working on syllabi...I'm problem solving for students. I'm conducting grant reports. I'm cherishing Deb Mathews in the grants department, and I'm going to soak up the last glimmers of summer sun while I can. 

Here's to y'all. These summer months fly way too fast.