Wednesday, September 21, 2022

It's National Banned Book Week, and Today is National Banned Book Day, So I Will Be on a Panel Tonight with Some of the Best Scholars at Fairfield

Last night, my graduate students and I spent two hours discussing Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. Actually, I should point out, I designed the class so I said as little as possible and they, as humans who have lived incredible lives thus far, could come to their own understandings of her work, book banning, the needs for stories, and the power of texts to save the lives of kids. I didn't want to preach that. I wanted them to discuss and come to that realization.

It's a no-brainer. They came to that realization. 

I get why people censor. It comes from a place of fear, and I'm starting my talk with a quote from Laurie Halse Anderson, "Censorship is the child of fear and the father of ignorance." 

Let me repeat that, Laurie Halse Anderson says, "Censorship is the child of fear and the father of ignorance."

They are words that need to sink in...that mean something...that should initiate further thinking. 

Do I teach all books and promote all literature? No. There's no time. Am I, as a professional, strategic about the books I teach and the reasons for it? Of course. I do my best to understand the times and the young people we serve. Do I think banning books should ever be an option? Absolutely not. I follow my colleague from yesteryear's advice: Read everything. Denying anyone access to what is out there is simply wrong, no matter what your agenda. Allow readers free will and to choose for themselves.

Choice is always the best option. Teaching kids to move on when they aren't into a book is good practice. Encourage them to find the next best thing is even better. Yet, denying them a book is anti-democratic. Censorship indignant righteousness.

There are 101 ways I can angle what I say this evening, but it comes down to simple solutions. Everyone deserves opportunity to decide for themselves what to read and not read. No parent or political group should make decisions for others; instead, the individual should decide for themselves. 

Sadly, what is happening right now, I believe, is the act of censoring truth and history. Advocacy groups don't want critical thinkers, because if children grow up asking questions and wondering, they may find answers that don't shed a positive light on the people trying to keep truth and history in front of children. Do I read everything? I don't have time. Do I choose not to read some things? Of course (in fact, I don't read a lot of what others tell me I should be reading). But do I read? Everyday. Why? Because I'm trying to figure out the crazy on this big blue and green marble and, if I'm to be honest, I trust very few.

So I read many.

To me, censoring is criminal. Have your opinions. Make your choices for you and your children. But don't push this on to everyone else. Teachers needs books to help their young readers to be better human beings. 

Books save lives. I have 26 years of practice to prove this. 

Hatred and spite, though....they've never been good for anyone. Show me evidence when they've been a good thing.