Thursday, January 27, 2022

Why Not Get the Flu, Post Covid? Sounds Like Fun. Sure. 3 a.m. Tuesday, Let the the Pain Come. Then 12 Hours of Total Hell. Exhaustion Returned. Enough Already

I've never called a class off. I've never had to. Even in KY, the only times I called in sick were when I needed another adult body in the room so I could conference with kids I thought when the daggers jabbed my stomach at 3 a.m., that it would be over by wake-up call, but that didn't happen. By 5:30 a.m., I wrote my students to say there's no way I can have class. 

I then slept until 1 p.m., getting up regularly to run to the bathroom. It was torture the entire day. By 1, however, I was able to lift my head and drink vitamin water. I ran to the store to get more, and came back and crashed until 6. Then, I was able to keep chicken soup down, tea, anything warm, even if it did want to boil up through the throat.

I didn't know it was possible to be so sick, and I guess I'm thankful that it didn't come with a dehydration headache. I kept myself liquified the entire day.

And then I went online to read about stomach bugs, because I've had them before, but never like this - I wanted to know what could cause such cramping and expulsion from the body. I lived as the exorcist the entire day. Karal was good, and she rested with me. But that seemed to be a mega-bug.

Now I have to make up for the 2.5 hour class. I have an idea how to do it, and I definitely hope that the bug I got wasn't spread to the graduate class on Tuesday night. No one deserves such illness. 

Here's to a better day, today. Please. Please. Please.