Friday, January 21, 2022

Reading the Tea Leaves & The Caffeine, Still Thankful to My @WritingProject Family For Their Care. @easms, I Am So Appreciative of Your Kindness

I know full-heartedly that it's probably not the wisest decision to carry forward with 14-hour days as I continue to fight Covid. I was good last week, when space allowed me opportunity to give in - in fact, I slept the 14 hours, rather than work. But a new semester is upon us, and the work continues. 

This is why I was so thankful to get a package from the mailman sent from Dr. Ellen Shelton in Mississippi. I love my teas and my coffee, and she sent both with a note to take care of myself. I'm trying, and it's packages like this that are reminders to sing some Simon and Garfunkel. I am slowing down, because I can't move too fast. 

Actually, my mind and body has been going forward in incredibly strong ways, but last night it crashed. I realized that it is too much, so I need to take today, Saturday, and Sunday to revisit the week  where I was able to rest, stay calm, and recover. 

It's no joke. I wouldn't wish any of this on anyone. And I have nothing but sympathy for any and all who test positively. For those who are unvaccinated and test the same, I wish them much luck. I know how I feel with three vaccines and extreme caution, so I can't imagine what it's like to get the virus without any protection. And for anyone who is immune-compromised, or at risk because of other conditions, I can only turn to prayer. I'm not necessarily the praying sort, but it's all I have. 

Yesterday, student work started pouring in, and it's beautiful, and Tanya Baker and I recorded one of the best Write Time shows to date (stay tuned). But my greatest love and consideration goes to Ellen Shelton - her brilliance, kindness, dedication, spirit, and love for the work she does. The warm fuzzy she sent was fuel for the soul. I needed it, and I need rest, too. 

I now know that we all need to be an army of support for any and all who get infected: food, cards, liquids, medication, support - anything we can do to help our fellow mankind. This is extremely disruptive and I feel so much for my K-12 teaching population who are doing the lion's share of work during these times. Yes, medical professionals deserve extreme respect and I have that for them. But our teachers are vulnerable to the whims and fancies of parents, politics, and administrative decision-making. It's hard on them, too. They are on my mind the most. 

Follow the lead of people like Dr. Ellen Shelton. Look out for your fellows. Do your best to send love and support.