Saturday, January 29, 2022

Early Gifting to Myself: 50 for 50. I Invited 50 Lil' Friends To Be with Me in February So They Can Be Given Others (As They Will...They'll Choose)

One of the greatest regrets I have is not saving the miniature figurines my Grannie Annie displayed every Christmas. Not one for a tree, but she'd take a fallen branch, sprinkle it with tinsel, make a pond out of a mirror, and decorate her winter fiesta with tiny animals and critters. My guess is they went with the Estate sale and it wasn't until year laters when I was on my own that I thought, "Dang. Those were cool. I wish I had them."

Every year, when I took senior classes to St. Augustine, Florida, I would find a little guy here or there and sort of created a miniature collection, but more often than not I gifted them to my students. They were just joy-creators and easily put a smile on another's face. 

I've looked from time to time to buy them in bulk, but I could never justify the prices. Then I finally found 50 for $50 and I said, "I'm in." My goal is to keep the Karal dog and allow all the other buggers to be repurposed to other homes. (By the way, they retail for $7 to $11...so maybe I should go into business)

The glass gladiators have been in my house for a few weeks, but I haven't had a chance to unwrap them to see my bounty (because I was sick). I did this the other day, after I saw Beth Boquet's post of a toy given to her a few years ago. I said, "Let's see what I got." Above is the shot I got. 

Yesterday, I handed over my first 3. The first two to Susan LaFrance and her daughter Elizabeth, a bull and a Pippin, then another bird to Pam, a talisman that I hope won't smash into her window. 

As we live through the Kenan dump of 2022, no, not Dennis Keenan, I will take comfort in my friends (fwends) currently standing in my dining room while I channel the spirit of Hynka.

I really do appreciate the little things in life, and this purchase makes me a tiny bit happier for this world. So let that be. It is what it is.