Saturday, January 8, 2022

First Snow Day of the Season. Around 8 Inches of the Fluffy Stuff in Stratford and a Great Day of Exercising Getting It Out the Way

The first heavy snow fall is always the most beautiful. The storm came in over night and by morning's wake, the majority of it already landed. Highways everywhere were unnavigable and poor Edem took 3 hours getting home; when his car got stuck in the grass pulling in and he couldn't get it out, I said, "Just leave it there. I'm drinking coffee and I'll soon head out and see what I can do. Just get some sleep.

He brought something into the house, but we've both tested negatively for Covid. I'm sniffling and coughing a little, monitoring every second of the day. 

My neighbor had shoulder surgery so she asked me to take care of her driveway which I did...her long, steep driveway Phew. I give her credit. I'd want a shoulder-surgery too, to keep me from tackling that all the time. 

Karal was funny. It was her first snow fall and she didn't want to go near the stuff. She kept exploring windows wondering what happened to the world she knew and finally I tricked her by tossing a ball out the door. When she learned the white stuff wouldn't kill her, an absolute canine joy overtook her. She ran and bounced and slid and jumped and buried herself for over an hour before I said she had to come in while I shoveled.

The neighbor thought it might be good to have the dogs run in her backyard, so that's exactly what I did. Karal and Buckey played for three hours. She crashed in the afternoon and I imagine she will sleep most of today. 

It was a light, fluffy snow, so easy to push to the side, albeit that there's just so much of it: sidewalks, back patio, two driveways and front steps. I didn't take my skis out because I don't want to test this sniffly cough stuff, but I hope to find space and location to do so sometime this weekend. 

I also forget how cold it gets. I worked up a sweat pushing that snow, so when I went to maneuver stuff with Chitunga who quickly visited (I stayed masked, just in case) I cursed the Gods about the temperature. We don't get the Syracuse stuff, but on occasion we do, which is lovely. I'm glad when the season finally pushes to the side. The older I get, the more I hate the cold.