Thursday, January 13, 2022

Missing These Pistachios Stored in the Top Left Drawer of My Office Desk. They Were My Treat for Getting Through the Work, Yet We're Separated

Seriously. Our service to the University ended at 1 p.m. today and when I signed off the computer, I looked to Karal and said, "This is going to be a bad day." I took her for a 3-mile romp around Stratford then came home and crashed on the couch. Definitely the worst day I've had with this crap. The train-ramming-into-me metaphor works just fine. So I slept. Karal tried to keep me awake the entire time, but I slept, until she bit my nose because she wanted dinner.

My taste, smell, and appetite are just fine. In fact, I am having cravings, including the salted Pistachio packs I got at Big Y - Kris Sealey's favorite treats. She turned me on to them, but I never tried them. So, the first time I did I was like, "Dang. These are incredible."

So when I hunkered into the office past the holidays, I made sure I stocked up on packages in my drawer, Nothing like an afternoon nibble to keep the mind going.

Ah, but this mind isn't going anywhere. It is dead, bulldozed, flattened, and done. I can't afford another day like yesterday, but I'm not optimistic. My nurse friends who have also had it simply said, "Give in to your body. It's the only way to get over it. When it craves rest, rest. You cannot function at a normal pace."

Um, duh. This is obvious. I slept 14 hours of the last 24.

Okay, I"m going back to more coffee with fingers crossed I can at least think about a new semester ahead. I'm not hopeful, but I'm going to try.

Hilarious, Crandall. Who are you trying to kid? You're going back to bed.