Wednesday, January 12, 2022

@BookdealerSusan for the Win!!! This Covid-struck, Sinus-suffering, Mucus-Man is Going to Love these Gifts for a Very Long Time

I often channel Jean Wolph for this one. When my sinuses were destroying my head in Kentucky one hot summer morning (actually, at the school that Muhammad Ali attended), she heated up a wash cloth, placed it on my head, and said, "Relax." It was during the Louisville Writing Project when summer head and the Ohio River had my brain paralyzed. I never thought about heating washcloths in a microwave, but phew! That made a difference.

Fast forward. Down for the count. In and out of consciousness because a character from Transformers, Omicron or Covid-19, landed on my doorstep and knocked me completely out. I was talking to my colleague when she asked, "Crandall, Why are you rolling your coffee mug across your face?"

I was caught. It's a ritual. In the morning, I use a hot cup of coffee to unclog my sinuses. Yes, at times it burns, but it is a way to temper the pulsating throb I often wake up with. Dr. Susan James came to the rescue and mailed me an ice-roller, and a heat-wrap to help me break through the snot, pain, and annoyance that is my life right now.

I'm the world's worst patient. I tend to figure things out for myself and avoid doctors at all costs. Still, with this Covid crap, I've been cautious because I want to avoid nonsense when I don't have to deal with it Well, I have to deal with it. 

I am so thankful to Suzie Q for sending these tools my way...not just for now, but for sinus season, with all its gook/glob and joy. 

I can't wait to put them to use.