Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Confession. I Have To Admit It Here. At the Time This Blog Posts I'll Already Be at the Coper Getting Ready For Class. I Took This One For the Team

We've seen enrollment declining after students take earliest pre-education classes, so strategically we're trying something new. We've done this before when I taught philosophy, but this time I'm getting the first class of the pre-education sequence...the 8 a.m. Explorations in Education class. The Chair asked and I accepted. Pretty soon, I'll have taught every class in our department so I have a pretty decent understanding of the scope and sequence. An 8 a..m. turbo, however, is something new to me. 

Yes, I spent 10 years being in a classroom by 6:30 a.m., so I can do this. It's just my body has been used to wake up at 6 a.m., drink coffee and write until 10 a.m., then think about teaching. I'm an absolute grump in the morning.

Ah, but I stayed late after class last night to get everything ready, and I'll come in with my coffee cup and jokes about how ridiculous anyone is already functioning at 8 a.m., especially when we didn't end last night until 10 p.m., but I will try this for a semester. We'll see what comes of it.

Here's the good news. I'm treating this like a Friday. The class ends, I clean up the office, and I'm heading to get groceries and set up for the week to come. Thursday and Friday, I'm taking care of National Writing Project work, activities, collaborations, publications, and upcoming events. 

The other cool thing about the course is that we'll eventually be in schools. For the first few weeks we are laying low as schools don't want us there, but hopefully by the end of February, we'll be doing the service learning work the class requires. 

And this will work for Karal. She gets up, pees, eats and sleeps until 11, so by the time I get home, she'll just be waking up for real, for real, wanting a walk.

Hair cut day in the afternoon, too. So this is ALL good.