Sunday, January 30, 2022

Well, Kenan, You Could Have Been Much Worse, But You Sure Put Down a Slippery Snow. Not Bad to Clear, But Tricky Not to Fall.

The winds were rough. But I took them, because for some reason they blew all the snow off the back porch (which is usually the trickiest, and most annoying part of snow removal. I went out from 12-2 to do mine and the neighbors' driveways, and was happy that I got the majority thinking the storm would soon be gone. But the winds, and more snow. I'm glad I did this, because it made the 6 pm -8 pm rounds much easier - the ones where I had to clear the cars.

Can you believe that Amazon call all its employees back last night? Edem was sent home at midnight Friday because they closed all highways to traffic. Sure enough, when this was lifted, he received a mandatory summons back to work. 

As much as I grimace about work in in higher education and the stress on K-12 teachers, I would never want to return to the insanity of hourly service work and the disrespect of employers to employees all in the name of profit for the few. I did that work for a time, and I did it well, but I saw how quickly that model is unethical. Now that I say that, I'm thinking to higher education administration. Perhaps it is the same. 

I'd say, in total, we received 8 inches, but I'll let the get confirmed tomorrow (they are saying 9.8 inches). We were at the edge of where it really got interesting for the northeast. It was a good storm, and kudos to Stratford facilities - they were out all night long and all day. Almost felt like Syracuse, it was so efficient. I remember the days of the 2 plows for an entire city in Louisville....well, that's an exaggeration, but it's not that far off. A snow event paralyzed everyone.

Within the in-between space of contending with snow, I got a crockpot roast fixed, edited a proposal and sent it off, interviewed a teacher for class on Wednesday, and even showered. Of course, the evening ended with Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) for the 2nd time in two weeks. I'm just in love with the story of Rey, Finn, and Ben. I know what is going to happen, but always return to it as if it was brand new. Childhood, teaching years in KY, PhD in Syracuse, and now adult life is all wrapped up in these stories. 

Well, Sunday. Please to see you. At least I won't be shoveling today, but I will be reading, planning, cleaning, and doing as Crandall does. 

And I have tremendous optimism I will get my skis out to the trails today, as I want to slip and slide intentionally. Perhaps I will head to Walnut and see if someone beat me to it. Might be good to see some water for a little while.

In my head, I believe the force is within me, even if I am an aging fart.

BTW - of the 500 employees summoned to work at Amazon, only 35 showed. Edem is one of them, and he's a good man. Sort of happy for the 465 that gave the middle finger to the company. I mean, come on.