Saturday, March 26, 2022

Truth Telling 2022. There Was No Way I Was Going to Be Able To Lie, So I Came Clean. I Took a Mid-Day Moment to Myself and Still Made It...Just in the Nick of Time

My morning began with a 6 a.m. shower, getting myself ready for the day. I knew I had to visit two schools, had a doctor's appointment late morning, and a very important 1 pm rational meeting. After I got my wasp stings at the dermatologist (Kennelog for my psoriasis, which is 200 stabs in my leg that makes me bleed but does what it should), I came home and said, "Karal, We can hike along the beach."

This was fine, but a wonderful woman hiking with her long hair, Irish wolf hound stopped to talk with me and Karal and her dog got along marvelously so we let them play on the beach. 

Tick tock. Tick Tock.

I lost 35 minutes in canine play, and when I looked at my watch I said, "Holy #@$#, Crandall. You have a 1 p.m."

Now, I know I've not been running because I'm afraid my intestines will come out of my eyeball and nostrils, but I had no choice. Karal and I ran hard for twenty minutes. I got to my car and said, "I'm only 8 miles away." Of course, I hit every light and train tracks that I didn't know hosted trains seemed to have trains, so I was stuck with that. Then I got behind a handicapped sticker car going four miles per hour (it wasn't Papa Butch, but it might as well have been) and I got into my house with 60 seconds to spare.

Dang, I was hosting the national meeting. Phew. I made it happen, but I was almost late to my own party. This is the cost of taking a few minutes to the self! But Karal hiked and guess what, I ran like I haven't run in a year (even faster) and no eyeballs fell out, blood was shed, or small intestines were dripping onto the pavement. It felt good.

So, I'm entering the weekend with a sense of calm (not going to discuss afternoon faculty meetings) and for that I am thankful.

Friends, we HAVE TO TAKE TIME FOR OURSELVES, even if it DOES create chaos. That is of utmost importance. The 90 minutes along the Long Island Sound saved me...my week, and my weekend. So, if you get a chance to get outside to move, I say GO FOR IT. Everything else can wait.