Thursday, March 17, 2022

Taking a Walk, Mid-Week, to Recenter the Universe, to Allure Vitamin D, to Focus on What Matters, and to Enjoy Fresh Air

I spent yesterday in my campus office, and hid from the majority of people who were there (which were not many) simply to accomplish what I set out to do, and to get on top of the tasks that came my way. I came home at 3, took Karal for a walk along the Long Island Sound, and simply enjoyed the crisp air, the exercise, others trying to find comfort in movement, and thoughts about the steaks that awaited grilling at home. 

As I walked along the sea wall, I came across a rock pyramid which seemed to be the perfect Zen collective that I really needed. 

A highlight from the day was reconnecting with mentors across the nation and fellow National Writing Project directors - individuals I love, respect, admire, and gain inspiration from...it's not easy for any of us right now. 

When I returned, I grilled the steaks, sautéed vegetables, and made mashed potatoes for a mid-week dinner that can only occur when there's space in the day to care for such preparation.

I'm still riding high from the Cory Henry/Tank & the Bangas concert, which was truly incredible and necessary to put pep into the step. It's so wonderful to know musician do as they do, even when they too have hunkered down the last few years.

I was also struck by how clear the water was. I mean, I looked out for a distance and could see fish swimming, seagulls feasting, and sea water sparkling to the base below. It was nice, as there were few people, little action on the sound, and a simple peace that was rewarding for the few walking along the shoreline. 5 miles. I will take it, and so will spastic Karal. 

Of course, I returned to social media, news, soundbites, and the insanity of the world. Ah, it needn't be so complicated, but our canines cause us to do as we do. 

Today, rain and fog. I have hopes though: Doctors appointments, check-ups, and hopefully a few seconds to spend with Chitunga in Stamford. I only can hope that he'll have serenity in his lifetime to parallel the luck I've had from time to time.

To whoever it was that made the rock pile, I thank you. It was a perfect bonus to the day. Happy Saint Patty's Day.