Sunday, March 13, 2022

Day One of Alleged Break: Finishing the Bay Window with Special Guest, Maude...Karal, Of Course Was Central to Every Step of the Process

My morning started with a 'beat the stormy mess' round of shopping, but it was unsuccessful. I came home and caught the MAAC Women's Basketball Championship game and was super excited to see the Lady Stags take home the trophy - so many of these girls were central to Ubuntu Academy and our Young Adult Literacy Labs - Literacy4Life/Ubuntu project. Well, deserved. Such great playing and incredible coaching. 

Patrick arrived in the afternoon and we took on the dry wall gap left from the installation of the new bay window. He was a a great teacher, as I wanted to learn every step of the process. I'm pretty sure I can handle the rest, as he coached well, even with Karal having to be part of his every move.

Was super happy to host Ms. Maude for the day, and was pleased that Karal saw her as a friend in the house and not a snack. There were times when Karal wanted to know what she was and why she was there, but they found comfort and grace with one another. Maude's truly adorable, as we learned when we purchased supplies at Home Depot. Definitely a dog that attracts attention. 

Also loved having Chitunga for the day and spending time with him for dinner. Thankful he found a new apartment, albeit costly, so he doesn't have to commute from Mt. Pleasant. 

Today, I'm doing the compound, sanding, and smoothing, so that on Monday I can paint. I have an idea of what I'll do to make the room compatible with colors, even if I don't have Cynde or Pam here to guide the process. I have faith I will do the right thing. 

Patrick Kelly is a great educator. All I had to do is sit back and watch, as he tackled the trickiest parts, which I now know how to do. 

And the Lady Stags. That was simply incredible and I hope I can barbecue for them again before they graduate. They are an extremely special group of young women. I can't speak any higher about the human beings they are.