Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Thrilled to Hear @djfspeaks at Fairfield University...a Motivational Speaker Colleagues Brilliantly Brought to Our Campus Last Night - Superb!

The invitation to come hear David Flood speak inhabited many of slides for spring courses in 2020, as he was to be a special guest to our campus then. Yet, like all of us, it fell to the world of cancellations, online realities, and the changes of day to day home-stay. 

Last night my colleagues Emily Shamash and Alyson Martin stayed ahead of the game and saw to it that Flood delivered a message to our campus, one of kindness, love, and inclusivity (which, by the way, are synonymous to the individuals they are, too).

The conversation worth the wait, and spoke to the hearts and minds of the Quick Center. I laughed as David Flood poked fun of himself, and told the times the kids he's worked with has said, "You look like Squidworth...or you remind me of that guy from Back to the Future." As I watched him grace the stage (I was two rows back), I kept thinking, "Hmmm. I guess I see that, but I see the little brother of Henry Winkler and Ted Danson." What an amazing man, father, motivator, and visionary.

David Flood's honesty, truth-telling, and joy for his family, especially his autistic son, was the theme for the evening and I couldn't help but think of the research my colleagues Kelly Chandler-Olcott, Liz Lewis, and I have been doing on inclusive writing communities. I was to teach at the Brown School in Louisville, Kentucky, where diversity and inclusivity were an intentional mission. As a result, we worked collaboratively to raise the bar for all kids, with or without learning disabilities. The collective mattered more - it was the curriculum, and Flood's message definitely resonated with the shared values of the school and my intentional scholarship today.

There were many lines that I jotted down from his talk: "Look at things with your heart, not your mind;" "Loneliness can be contagious;" "Casual conversations are important;" "Smiles go a long, long way. Fist Bump. Elbow touch;" "Be vulnerable;" "There's an extreme importance for teachers to attend extra-curricular events;" "Do deep dives in the interests of kids;" "There should always be clubs for inclusion;" "No one should eat alone;" "Your life is not about you. It is about all the people around you;" "Connect with others;" and most importantly, "Show up."

Show up. Show up. Show up.

I was also touched by parents and kids who spoke at the end of the presentation simply to thank David Flood for his words. In my doctoral program, I remember Dr. Ferri began a first night of class with us writing a response to the question, "When is the first time you knew dis/ability?" - it is a prompt I use often, myself, in courses and during professional development. The point is quickly made: no one goes through life not knowing dis/abilities because dis/abilities are a way of life.

Show up and embrace them. Choose love.

I'm thankful for Drs. Alyson Martin and Emily Shamash for making the event happen. It as well worth the wait.